American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) recognizes Cannon Ball at Lake Winnepesaukah Amusement Park as an ACE Roller Coaster Landmark, a designation reserved for rides of historic significance.
Lake Winnepesaukah Amusement Park was founded in 1925 by Carl and Minette Dixon, and descendants of the Dixon family have been involved with the park for more than 90 years. During the early 1960s, daughter and park manager Evelyn Dixon White (1911-2002) approached famed coaster designer John C. Allen (1907-1979) of the Philadelphia Toboggan Company (PTC) to construct a new roller coaster. PTC's James L. Martz headed the construction of the classic out-and-back designed coaster, which opened in May 1967.
The beautiful white structure features a height of 70 feet with nine airtime-producing hills along its 2,272-foot-long course with a top speed of 50 mph. It was decided to name the ride Cannon Ball in recognition that the park site and surrounding areas were once encampments for Civil War soldiers of both the Confederate and Union armies. Two PTC-built coaster trains — one Union blue, the other Confederate gray — were used to recognize of the famed Civil War battles that were fought in nearby Chattanooga and Chickamauga.
ACE commends Lake Winnepesaukah for the continued excellence in maintaining and preserving Cannon Ball, Georgia's oldest wooden coaster, for future generations of thrill seekers.
Presented by American Coaster Enthusiasts
During the 2017 ACE Preservation Conference and Cannon Ball's 50th anniversary
May 20, 2017