American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) recognizes Kennywood’s Racer as an ACE Roller Coaster Landmark, a designation reserved for rides of historic significance.
Racer was the sixth and final coaster created for Kennywood by designer John A. Miller (1872-1941), replacing the park’s older Miller-designed Aerial Racer coaster. Construction of the $75,000 ride was supervised by Andrew M. Brown (1897-1978) and Kennywood’s Charles J. Mach. Opening on April 17, 1927, Racer would represent the most expensive element of Kennywood’s largest expansion project at the time and for several decades to come.
As one of only three single-track racing coasters remaining in the world today, Racer features an ingeniously crafted layout where riders boarding trains on one side return to the station on the other. After climbing 72 feet, 8 inches, riders are treated to competitively fun turns and mildly twisting drops, including a 43-foot, 6-inch maximum plunge.
The family-friendly track layout and rivalry created between trains as they race along the approximate 2,250 feet of track on each side has made Racer one of the longest running and uniquely popular rides in the world. While its loading station has been modified several times over the years, its 1927 façade was beautifully restored to its original splendor in 1990.
ACE salutes Kennywood, a National Historic Landmark, for continuing to operate and preserve Racer, the world’s oldest racing roller coaster.
Presented by American Coaster Enthusiasts
During Coaster Con XXXIII
June 21, 2010