Demolition work on Lincoln Park's famed Comet roller coaster is scheduled for the morning of July 11. Part of the roller coaster structure has already fallen. The ride's entrance will be removed with an excavator and complete removal of the coaster will take place within the next month. Opened in 1894 by the Union Street Railway Co., Lincoln Park was a local landmark until the amusement park closed in 1987.
The Greater New Bedford Regional Vocational-Technical High School plans to cut the roller coaster's track into pieces and mounted on plaques. The literal pieces of history will then be donated to nonprofit organizations, which can auction them off.
The demo work is part of developing the 42-acre site for 57 single-family homes, three apartment buildings with a total of 120 apartments and commercial space in several buildings at the front of the property.